If you or someone you know has been a victim of a car accident, you know the struggles that it causes. From the pain and trauma to the bills and the insurance premiums. However, you may be confused with what to do next if you are hit by a driver who fell asleep. Better yet, what do you do if you are hit by a driver who fell asleep? Here are some instructions as well as how to seek help from an attorney for your damages.
What do I do if I am hit?
If you have ever been hit, it may have been too quick for you to do much about it. However, if you haven’t ever experienced this, there are ways to stay safe as well as instructions for if it does happen.
If you are hit as a pedestrian:
- Get out of the street – if you are hit as a walking pedestrian, make sure you get out of harm’s way – if you are able. However, if you feel you are injured too bad to move, don’t. This will keep you from doing any more harm to yourself. After the accident, you may not have the “brain power” to do anything. However, as soon as you get over the shock, get out of the street if possible.
- Call the police and get some help – Although you may feel okay to move, don’t just go for it. You may be hurt worse than you know. Call the police and wait for them to arrive. They should also call the ambulance and medical professionals. If the driver is still there, you will need to write a police report. Do not let them leave until the police say it is okay.
- Get medical help – Make sure you get medical attention. Sometimes, injuries happen that we cannot feel due to the shock. Above all else, take care of yourself.
- Get name and numbers – If the driver did leave the scene, try to get names and numbers of all witnesses if you can.
- Call your insurance company – Call your insurance company and let them know what has happened. Give them any information they need including info from the police report.
If you are hit as a driver, the steps are pretty much the same. However, you will want to call your car insurance company and get a police report specific to your accident.
- Get out of the car – If you are able, get out of the car and move away to a safe place. Your car may have suffered some damage that could cause an explosion. Make sure you are feet away from the situation.
- Get license plate number – If you driver drives away, try to get the plate number for future reference. If you cannot see the plate or you miss it, do not fret. You can give the police a description of the vehicle.
Seek the Help of an Attorney
Unfortunately, it may be time to seek damages applying to the accident. If you find yourself needing to seek the help of an attorney, there are several ways to ensure you get the right one for your case.
- Make sure you interview several attorneys before you make your decision.
- Allow yourself to go over your budget before hiring a lawyer. Sometimes, in the madness of things, we forget that we have finances that must be cared for.
- Take time to speak with your attorney about what happened and in detail. Make sure they understand your health damage as well as your vehicle. To help your case, your attorney will need to know every single detail.
If you are not the victim, but instead a loved one who suffered death due to negligence, you may be able to file a wrongful death suit for damages and you as the remaining family member. Speak to your attorney about this as well. There are plenty of ways to get compensated for your damages and your health and wellness. Remember, there is help available for you after an accident of this kind. Above all, make sure you receive the medical attention you need.