Riverside Medical Debt Attorneys
By Your Side in a Crisis
Because of today’s high cost of medical care and treatment, medical debt is the leading cause of bankruptcy in the United States. Almost one-third of all bankruptcies filed are because of some kind of medical bill. Even those who have health insurance end up burdened with debts that they don’t have the ability to pay. If you are in the Riverside area, have massive medical debt, and have worries about being able to pay it back, you should speak with the caring attorneys of SM Law Group, APC to help you decide what your next steps should be.
Contact us online or at to discuss your medical debts today. We provide nonjudgmental service and care about your well-being above all else.
Bankruptcy Can Resolve Medical Debts
Medical bills may be easy to have dismissed through a medical debt bankruptcy. Unlike through other forms of debt, creditors may be less likely to accuse one of fraud or of indulging in high-end goods if medical debt is involved. In addition, bankruptcy judges and trustees understand that medical debt is usually beyond the control of the debtors, and may be a little more lenient and understanding of the need to file for bankruptcy protection.
The following types of bankruptcy can help eliminate debt from medical bills:
- With Chapter 7 bankruptcy, your debts can be discharged within a period of 3 to 4 months.
- In the event that you’re not eligible for Chapter 7, you can most likely file for Chapter 13, which allows you to make monthly payments for three to five years to pay off as much of the debt back as you can reasonably afford. At the end of that time period, all of your remaining debt will be settled. Many of those that file Chapter 13 end up paying only pennies on the dollar.
At our law firm, our attorneys provide cost-effective, expert and personalized strategies for debt relief. We focus on providing effective relief for medical debt in Riverside and other areas of California.
Should I File Bankruptcy for Medical Bills?
Filing for bankruptcy can be a big decision, and should be weighed seriously with the help of an attorney. Whether or not bankruptcy is the right option for you will depend on a variety of factors.
- Will another medical crisis occur? If your illness has not yet been resolved, you may incur additional debt after your initial bankruptcy. Since there is a waiting period before you can file for another bankruptcy, you may be on the hook for your debts.
- Do you qualify for medical payment assistance? Hospitals may be willing to work with you to resolve your outstanding bills, such as assistance programs or even negotiating that bill to a lower amount.
- Are you judgment proof? Some individuals do not own property or have income that creditors can pursue. If you do have assets that may be at risk, discuss your situation with an attorney.
- Do you have other debts that can be eliminated? If you have additional debts such as credit card debts, utility bills, or personal loans that can benefit from bankruptcy as well, you may be a good candidate.
Our attorneys at SM Law Group, APC can review your situation and walk you through your options. We evaluate each case carefully to help ensure that we provide a solution that benefits you.
Medical Debt Myths
Just like Santa Claus and the Easter bunny, there is no such thing as a “medical bankruptcy.” For many people, there is only Chapter 7 and Chapter 13. If any company tells you that they want to sign you up for “medical bankruptcy” program, you should go another way.
In the event that you or someone you know is in need of settling medical debts, contact the attorneys of SM Law Group, APC today for a free consultation and learn about our customized payment plans.
Our Riverside medical debt lawyers have helped countless individuals recover from their financial woes and are available to help. Call us for a free consultation today at (818) 805-1758.
Individual v. Credit Card Company (harassing phone calls) $280K Settlement
Individual v. Credit Card Company (harassing phone calls) $175K settlement
Individual v. Credit Card Company (harassing phone calls) $250K Settlement
Individual v. Credit Card Company (harassing phone calls) $300K Settlement
Individual Chapter 13 $100,000 of Unsecured Debt Discharged
Individual Chapter 7 Over $1 Million Debt Discharged
Individual v. Credit Card Company (harassing phone calls) $150K Settlement
Small Business Chapter 7 Over $750,000 Debt Discharged
Hard working- Former Client
I would recommend them to anyone.- Joshua N.
Great working with you guys!!- Hermes P.
They were awesome and spent time with me over the phone and answered my questions.- Shawn M.
I was extremely happy and satisfied with my settlement and outcome of my case.- Dan N.
Thank you, Kian, for your professionalism and expertise!- Nathan N.
The absolute best when it comes to handling bankruptcy!- Anna G.
John and the representative who met me at the courthouse were very thorough and guided me every step of the process.- Evitha B.
They made a very stressful situation much easier for me.- Lenny DcComics
I have never experienced more professional care. My phone calls and emails were answered within 5 minutes!- Lenka Wallace